Super Typhoon Goring has departed the Balintang Channel and is now moving towards the northern section of the West Philippine Sea. Here’s what you need to know:
Current Details of Super Typhoon Goring:
- Location: 90 km West Southwest of Basco, Batanes
- Movement: West Northwestward at 15 km/h
- Strength: Winds up to 195 km/h and gustiness of up to 240 km/h
Forecasted accumulated rainfall for today includes:
- Greater than 200 mm:
- Southern portion of Batanes
- Northwestern portions of Babuyan Islands
- 100-200 mm:
- Ilocos Norte
- Northern portion of Apayao
- Extreme northwestern portion of mainland Cagayan
- Remaining areas of Batanes and Babuyan Islands
- 50-100 mm:
- Ilocos Sur
- Northwestern portion of mainland Cagayan
- Rest of Apayao
Flooding and rain-induced landslides are possible in susceptible areas, especially places that experienced heavy rainfall in the past days.
- Violent, typhoon-force winds in areas under Wind Signals No. 4.
- Storm-force winds in areas under Wind Signals No. 3.
- Gale-force winds in areas under Wind Signals No. 2.
- Strong winds in areas under Wind Signals No. 1.
The enhanced Southwest Monsoon is expected to bring gusty conditions, particularly in coastal and upland/mountainous areas. Affected regions include Ilocos Region, Cordillera Administrative Region, and parts of Luzon and Visayas.
Track and Intensity
Super Typhoon Goring is forecasted to move northwestward across the Luzon Strait and leave the Philippine Area of Responsibility by tomorrow morning. It is expected to remain a super typhoon until Friday. After exiting, it will head westward near Guangdong, China, and may weaken to a severe tropical storm by Monday.
Areas with Tropical Cyclone Wind Signals
TCWS No. 3
- Northern and western portions of Babuyan Islands
TCWS No. 2
- The rest of Babuyan Islands
- Northern portion of Ilocos Norte:
- Extreme northwestern portion of mainland Cagayan:
- Santa Praxedes
TCWS No. 1
- Northern and central portions of Cagayan:
- Santo Niño
- Santa Ana
- Santa Teresita
- Northern portion of Kalinga:
- Northern portion of Abra:
- San Juan
- La Paz
- Rest of Ilocos Norte
- Extreme northern portion of Ilocos Sur:
- San Juan