Mayor Mauricio Domogan has already approved the IRR prepared by the Office of the City Social Welfare and Development (OCSWADO) led by OCSWD Officer Betty Fangasan. Hence, solo parents and their children who are Baguio residents, will be able avail of additional benefits other than those provided by Republic Act No. 8972 or the Solo Parents’ Welfare Act of 2000.
The implementation of this privilege will now be mandatory for the following facilities in the city of Baguio.
Solo Parent Ordinance
The Solo Parent Ordinance was pushed last year by Bilog and Councilor Faustino Olowan in order to help solo parents whose income is under PHP 250,000.00. This ordinance, according to them, will provide additional benefits aside from what Republic Act 8972 offers.
With the ordinance, solo parents will be able to avail discounts on tuition fees; purchase of medicines and grocery items; and receive burial assistance of at least 10%.
Ordinance No. 99-18 “Providing Local Additional Assistance to Solo Parents and their Children in the City of Baguio”
[UPDATED AS OF AUGUST 28, 2019]
Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of City Ordinance No. 99 series of 2018 known as Providing Local Additional Assistance to Solo Parents and their Children in the City of Baguio
Republic Act No. 8972 [AN ACT PROVIDING FOR BENEFITS AND PRIVILEGES TO SOLO PARENTS AND THEIR CHILDREN] or otherwise known as the “SOLO PARENTS’ WELFARE ACT OF 2000” states that:
“Declaration of Policy – It is the policy of the State to promote the family as the foundation of the nation, strengthen its solidarity and ensure its total development. Towards this end, it shall develop a comprehensive program of services for solo parents and their children to be carried out by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), the Department of Health (DOH), the Department of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS), the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), the Technical Education and Skills Development Authorty (TESDA), the National Housing Authority (NHA), the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and other related government and non-government agencies.”
However, after seventeen years since the approval of the said Act, no amendments were made as to benefits or packages for the solo parents and their children. Solo parents are regarded as among the most vulnerable members of the society as they bear the parental burden and as such they have special needs that vary from psychological, emotional and financial, that must be addressed by the government.
The City Government of Baguio recognizes the rights and privileges of solo parents and pioneers the adoption of programs that would promote and encourage the role and contribution of this sector for the city’s development in particular, and for nation building in general.
From year 2015 to date, there are 1,175 registered solo parents in the City of Baguio through the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) that would benefit from the LGU as additional assistance for solo parents and their children.
These rules are promulgated to prescribe the procedure and guidelines for the implementation of the City Ordinance No. 99 s. of 2018 of the City of Baguio in order to facilitate the compliance therewith and to achieve the objectives thereof.
To enable solo parents cope up with the high cost of living and be able to provide quality education to their children thus the provision of additional benefits.
IV. SCOPE AND COVERAGE
All qualified solo parents of Baguio City based on the Implementing Rules and Regulations of City Ordinance No. 99 series of 2018.
V. QUALIFIED SOLO PARENTS WHO CAN AVAIL OF BENEFITS UNDER ORDINANCE NO. 99
a. Must fall within the definition of solo parent as provided in RA 8972 also known as Solo Parents’ Welfare Act of 2000.
b. Must be a resident of Baguio for at least one year, as certified by the Punong Barangay where the solo parent resides;
c. Must have the sole responsibility over the child and that she/he has no partner as of the time of application supported by an Affidavit of two Disinterested Persons;
d. Must apply for or have been issued a valid Solo Parent Identification Card as assessed and/or duly signed by the City Social Welfare and Development Officer and the City Mayor;
VI. VALIDITY OF SOLO PARENT ID
The Solo Parent ID is valid for one year only, subject to renewal after a new assessment and evaluation made by the Social Worker of the City Social Welfare and Development Office.
VII. BENEFITS FOR SOLO PARENTS AND THEIR CHILDREN
It is hereby declared to be a policy in the City of Baguio that at least 10% discount to be provided to the solo parents and their children on the following (under Section 2 of Ordinance no. 99).:
- Purchases of baby’s milk and food supplements made within a period of three (30 years from the child’s birth.
- Purchases of medicines, vaccines and other medical supplements/supplies for the child made within a period of eighteen years from the child’s birth and Purchase of medicines of the solo parent
- Medicines refer to both prescription and non-prescription medicines and articles approved by Bureau of Food and Drugs (BFAD), Department of Health (DOH), which are intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in man. At least ten percent (10%) discount on the purchase of medicine for the exclusive use and enjoyment of the solo parent and/or his or her child/children as long as the prescription contains the name of the solo parent and/or his or her child/children.
- Hospital bill of the solo parent and/or his or her child who is admitted to a public or private hospital in the City of Baguio;
- Consultation and laboratory diagnostic fees – any procedure conducted for diagnostic purposes. Is shall include procedures such as x-rays, CT-scans, MRI scans, PET scans, blood chemistry exams, histopathology and immunopathology, hematology, urine analysis, parasitology and bacteriology tests, serology, blood banking and all other diagnostic radiology, clinical laboratory and other diagnostic examinations that are necessary for the diagnosis of the solo parents and/or their child/children.
- Tuition Fees
- School tuition fees per child studying in Elementary, High School and Senior High in public or private schools/universities. Children of solo parents shall be given 10% discount in tuition fees upon enrollment.
- School Supplies
- Purchases of school supplies for the child made within a period of eighteen (18) years from the child’s birth, except books, uniforms and other school requirements.
For solo parents who are also Senior Citizen or with disability, 10% discount cannot be availed as additional discount; hence, solo parent has to choose on which to use either the solo parent ID, Senior Citizen ID or PWD ID, or whichever is higher.
B. ADDITIONAL BENEFITS
- Training Programs for Solo Parents and their Children at the Barangay Level
- Training programs for solo parents shall be provided in coordination with the barangay after the determination of the number of solo parents per barangay by the CSWDO. The type of training to be conducted shall be based on the training needs of the solo parents and their children.
- Barangay Solo Parent Assistance Desk and Other Services
- The Kagawad in charge of Committee on Social Services, Women and Family Welfare shall spearhead the solo parent’s assistance desk and the data base of solo parent in their respective barangay.
- Death Benefit
- The child/children of a registered solo parent at the time of the latter’s death is entitled to receive PHP 10,000.00 if the cause of death is natural, and PHP 20,000.00 if the death is caused by accident.
- Funeral Expenses – a rider of PHP 5,000.00 will be received by the child/children of the deceased solo parent
- Requirements to be submitted to the CSWDO in claiming death benefits:
a. Certified True Copy of the Death Certificate of the solo parent issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) or authenticated by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA);
b. Police Report for death due to accident
c. Burial Permit issued by the City Health Services Office;
d. Official Receipt of funeral expenses;
e. Two (2) valid ID’s and 1 pc ID picture of claimant;
f. Certificate of Tax Exemption from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) if the claimant is above 18 and below 21 years old. If the claimant is below 18, no need to secure Certificate of Tax Exemption;
g. Certified True Copy of the Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR), or authenticated by the Philippines Statistics Authority (PSA) of the child/children of the deceased solo parent.
VIII. ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS (under Section 9 of Ordinance no. 99)
- SOLO PARENT BOOKLET
- The booklet shall contain the following details:
a. Name of Solo Parent
c. Name of Child/Children
d. 1×1 ID Picture
e. ID Number
f. Date issued and expiry date
g. Benefits to be availed
The booklet will be released together with the Solo Parent ID valid only for one year and subject for renewal.
- The booklet shall contain the following details:
- EDUCATION AND INFORMATION DISSEMINATION
- The Public Information Office of the City Mayor’s Office shall spearhead the dissemination of the Ordinance through quad-media to inform the solo parents in the entire City of Baguio about the discounts being provided under Ordinance No. 99 series of 2018.
The funding for the said ordinance will be included in the budget of the City Social Welfare and Development Office to be used for the implementation.
- Penalties for denying discount to a solo parent. Any person or company found to violate any of the provisions of this ordinance by denying or hindering a solo parent from availing any of the discounts being provided shall be penalized a fine of:
- First Offense – PHP 1, 500.00
- Second Offense – PHP 2,500.00
- Third Offense – PHP 5,000.00 and closure of business as may be ordered by the appropriate implementing agency.
If the violator is a corporation, organization, or any similar entity, the officials and employees thereof directly involved shall be individually liable therefore and penalized as provided.
- Penalties for Falsification of Documents by Solo Parent. Any person found guilty of falsification of documents to avail of the above solo parent benefits shall be fined Five Thousand Pesos (PHP 5,000.00) or one (1) month imprisonment, or both, at the discretion of the Court.
XI. EFFECTIVITY CLAUSE
These Implementing Rules and Regulations shall take effect once approved by the Honorable City Mayor.
SOURCE: Sangguniang Panlungsod – Baguio
Application for Solo Parent ID in Baguio City
NOTE: For any concerns about the Solo Parent ID application and the booklet, please visit the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) located at Silungan Center, Upper Session Rd, Baguio City.
Here’s the list of required documents for those who will be applying for the Solo Parent I.D. in the city.
- Affidavit of 2 disinterested parties who knows that you are a solo parent
- Barangay Certificate of Residency
- Birth Certificate of minor children
- Valid ID (xerox)
- Pay Slip (ITR)
- Death Certificate (if deceased)
- Certification from jail (if incarcerated)
- Court decision (if annulled)
For other concerns regarding the new ordinance that is not discussed in this article, please get in touch with CSWDO at 444-6467.
source: Public Information Office – Baguio