The B.1.1.7. SARS-CoV-2 variant (UK variant) has already been detected in the Philippines, this has been officially confirmed by the Department of Health (DOH) and the Philippine Genome Center yesterday (Wednesday), January 13, 2021, via a press release.
According to the DOH, samples from a Filipino who arrived from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on January 7 has yielded positive genome sequencing results. Below are more details on the said patient.
Patient Positive of the UK COVID-19 Variant
- The patient is a male resident of Quezon City
- Departed for Dubai on December 27, 2020 for business purposes
- Arrived in the Philippines last January 7, 2021 via Emirates Flight No. EK 332
- The patient was swabbed and quarantined in a hotel upon arrival
- The positive test result was released the following day
- He was referred to a quarantine facility in Quezon City while his samples were sent to PGC for whole genome sequencing
Patient Accompanied by Partner
As disclosed by DOH, the patient was also accompanied by his female partner during his trip.
- The patient’s partner tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 upon arrival
- Currently, she is under strict quarantine and monitoring
Prior to their departure to Dubai, both of the returning Filipinos had no exposure to a confirmed case nor had any travel activities outside Quezon City.
DOH Reiterates Observance Minimum Health Standards
The department also bared that immediate contact tracing was done, revealing that the initially identified contacts are asymptomatic and currently under strict home quarantine. The flight manifest has also been secured and according to DOH the contact tracing of the other passengers is already being carried out.
The Full DOH Press Release on the UK Variant Detected in PH
Here’s the full press release as published by the official Facebook page of the Department of Health (Philippines) on (Wednesday), January 13, 2021:
For More News and Updates
Looking for more news and updates? Feel free to explore our BCG website and our official Facebook page. You may also check out our official BCG YouTube channel to catch a variety of video content. Please, remember to always observe the minimum health standards. Stay safe, everyone!