PRRD Signs EO Institutionalizing the Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-Asa program
President Rodrigo Duterte has signed Executive Order No. 114, making the Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-Asa Program official.
Goals of the Program
This national program of the government aims to:
- Reverse migration to the National Capital Region (NCR) and other congested metropolises
- Attain rural prosperity through equitable redistribution of wealth, resources, and opportunities
The Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa Program
As stated in EO No. 114, “The State shall ensure balanced regional development and equitable distribution of wealth, resources and opportunities through policies and programs that boost countryside development and inclusive growth, provide adequate social services, and promote full employment, industrialization and improved quality of life in rural areas.”
Key Areas of the Program
Under this executive order, the Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa Program’s key areas have also been identified which are as follows:
- Empowerment of Local Industries
- Support micro, small and medium enterprises through sustainable programs which will foster the growth of the sector
- Food security and Agricultural Productivity
- Encourage and facilitate innovations and technologies for agricultural production
- Infrastructure and financial support for local agricultural industries
- Social Welfare, Health and Empowerment
- Develop assistance packages that will encourage the voluntary and immediate movement to home provinces of workers and OFWs, especially those stranded in NCR due to the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).
- Upgrade local health facilities and improve local health capacity to address the needs of the community
- Build educational institutions, technical and vocational schools in strategic rural areas
- Enhance access to Open Distance Learning in rural areas
- Create and restore employment through support programs and assistance packages
- Development of Infrastructures
- Develop means of transport and communications, power sources, and irrigation facilities in different regions in the country which support the growth of other sectors of the economy
- Complete existing and future railway projects to facilitate movement of people and create & improve transport terminals
- Construct public markets in communities
Categorization of the Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa Program Framework Components
The components of the Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa Program shall be aligned with the key areas and shall be categorized under specific progress points – short term, medium-term, and long term.
- Short Term
- Transportation and relocation
- Transitory support from existing DSWD and NHA programs
- Livelihood and employment packages
- Agri-based support services
- Educational programs
- Fiscal incentives, transition assistance, fast-tracked processing of permits for MSMEs
- Medium Term
- Identification of existing economic zones, development of MSME-oriented industries
- Livelihood and employment opportunities suitable for rural development
- Strengthening and prioritizing the national spatial strategy
- Integration of formal education, improved healthcare services and facilities, maintenance and promotion of peace, order, and security
- Establishment of new special economic zones in Visayas and Mindanao, including BARMM
- Long Term
- Decentralization of powers and seat of governance
- Legislation on rationalized and results-based tax incentives for agriculture or tourism, and the national land use act
- Creation of new urban centers
Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa Program Council
Under the executive order, the Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa Program Council was formed to formulate guidelines, provide direction for the implementation of the program, and approve or modify key areas and components of the program.
Moreover, the council is expected to coordinate with the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) in developing a strategic communications plan. It may also perform other tasks that the President may direct.
For more News and Update
For more news updates, entertainment, and inspiring stories on our official Facebook Page or simply click here to visit our website. For relaxing, entertaining, and informative videos, feel free to visit and subscribe to our Baguio City Guide YouTube channel.