If you are a fresh graduate and a first-time jobseeker, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to get NBI Clearance, absolutely for free.
In case you didn’t know yet, there is a law waiving some of the government fees for documents someone might need in order to land a job for the first time here in the Philippines.
The Republic Act. No. 11261, which is also called the “First Time Jobseekers Assistance Act,” is a policy that aims to give first-time jobseekers accessibility by offering a one-time waiver for pre-employment documentary requirements. This is to ease the financial burden for first-time jobseekers.
Covered Governmental Transactions
As per RA 11261, no fees and other charges shall be collected from first-time jobseekers when obtaining the following:
- Police clearance certificate
- NBI Clearance
- Barangay clearance
- Medical certificate from a public hospital, PROVIDED that fees and charges collected for laboratory tests and other medical procedures required for the grant of a medical certificate shall not be free of charge
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Transcript of academic records issued by state colleges or universities
- Tax Identification Number (TIN)
- Unified Multipurpose ID (UMID) card
- Other documentary requirements issued by the government may be required by employers from job applicants.
One of the documents you might need when applying for a job is an NBI Clearance, which you can get from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). It is commonly required by employers especially for applicants without work experience.
To avail of the benefits of this act, the jobseeker must be:
- a Filipino citizen who is actively seeking employment, locally or abroad, for the first time, as certified by the barangay of which he/she is a resident for at least 6 months.
How to get NBI Clearance First Time Jobseeker Requirements
Before you can go to claim your NBI Clearance, you first need to have the following:
- A Barangay Certificate from your place of residence stating that you are a resident for at least six (6) months and are a first-time job seeker.
- Any two (2) valid government-issued I.D’s such as:
- Valid passport
- Birth Certificate (PSA)
- Driver’s license
- SSS or GSIS ID
- UMID ID
- TIN ID
- Postal ID
- PhilHealth ID
- Police Clearance
Please keep in mind that Non-Government issued IDs such as Company IDs are NOT ACCEPTED as Valid IDs in processing NBI clearance.
NBI Clearance Application Online
Due to the pandemic, NBI no longer accommodates walk-in application for NBI clearance. To get your free NBI clearance, you need to accomplish the NBI Clearance Application online. This would allow for a smoother and safer transaction and lesser risk from the virus. Here are the steps on how to get NBI Clearance for free:
Step 1 Go to the NBI Clearance websites and Register
NBI Clearance Gov PH portal
You can access the first time jobseeker portal through the homepage of nbi clearance gov ph. Under NBI Clearance eServices, click First Time Jobseekers.
First Time Jobseeker Portal
You can also directly go to the First Time Jobseekers portal of NBI by clicking this link: https://firsttimejobseekers.nbi.gov.ph/.
There you will be greeted with a form that says “Register as First Time Jobseeker.” Fill up the form accordingly, Accept the Terms and Services by ticking the checkbox then click Sign up.
NOTE: Omit hyphens and special characters on your name during registration, and inform the personnel on the day of your appointment.
Step 2 Enter your NBI One-Time-Password (OTP)
After signing up, you should receive a text message from NBI containing a 6-digit One-Time-Password (OTP) on the mobile number you have indicated in the registration form. Enter the OTP mentioned within 5 minutes of receiving the message and click Submit.
Step 3 Sign in and Complete Applicant Information
Using the email and password you used to register, sign in to the portal. You will be greeted with an Applicant Information Form. Review all of the information and make sure they are all entered correctly and completely. Click Save Information.
Step 4 Enter Valid ID Information
The next step is to secure an appointment before going to an NBI branch near you. Because of the pandemic, NBI-CAR is currently not accommodating walk-in clearance applicants to reduce the risk of exposure for both clients and staff.
Click Apply for Clearance, then choose which type of ID you will present at the NBI Clearance Office.
Enter your ID number and then click I Agree.
Step 5 Secure an NBI Clearance Appointment Online
After entering the details for your valid ID, you can now proceed to choose a date for your personal appearance. Available dates and times vary according to the NBI branch.
If you live in Baguio City, choose “Baguio City” as your NBI Branch and select the time and date most convenient to you.
Review your appointment date and once you’re sure of the date, click “Save to Get Reference Number.”
A popup confirmation box will appear containing the Reference Number for your transaction. Take a screenshot of your reference number or write it down.
Step 6 Show up on your NBI Clearance appointment
When the date and time of your appointment comes, make sure that you take note of the following:
- Check NBI-CAR’s Facebook page for any announcement on disinfection or modified operating hours during the pandemic.
- Bring the COMPLETE requirements (Valid IDs, Barangay Certificate)
- Your Reference Number
- Print and fill up the Health Declaration Form
- Wear the proper dress code
- any decent shirt with collar
- closed shoes
- Any decent shirt/top (with/without collar)
- pants or skirt (below the knee)
- closed shoes
- NOT ALLOWED: shorts, mini skirts, tattered pants, slippers, sandals
- For your safety, bring your own pen.
- Observe minimum public health standards by wearing a face mask and face shield. No face mask and face shield, no entry.
Step 7 Have your Biometrics taken
Proceed to NBI-CAR located at #125 Upper Session Road, Baguio City.
Upon arrival at the NBI branch, submit the Health Declaration Form, present your requirements and proceed to the Clearance Section to have your photo and biometrics taken.
NOTE: Since you will be applying for the first time, the NBI personnel will be stricter when it comes to requirements. No complete requirements, no entry.
Step 8 Printing and Claiming
After getting your biometrics taken, wait for your clearance to be printed and stamped. If in any case, your name gets a HIT, you may have to wait for up to 15 days or longer to get your NBI Clearance.
Once you have obtained your NBI Clearance, you can already use that for your first job hunting! Good luck and stay safe!
For concerns regarding your NBI Clearance, you may contact NBI-CAR through the following:
- Landline: (074) 442-7203
- Email: [email protected]
SOURCE: Official Gazette, NBI-CAR