The Office of Civil Defense Cordillera has released an Earthquake Public Advisory earlier today (Thursday), February 18, 2021, through a Facebook post. According to the Civil Defense, from February 17 to 18, 2021, series of earthquakes with different time intervals have been monitored in Tineg, Abra. All of which was said to have a tectonic origin.
PHIVOLCS Earthquake Information Tineg, Abra
Safety Tips During an Earthquake
Other than the earthquake information in Tineg, Abra, the Civil Defense Cordillera also shared some tips and safety reminders from PHIVOLCS which are to be followed when an earthquake occurs:
- If possible, quickly open the door for exit
- Duck under a sturdy desk or table, and hold on to it, or protect your head with your arms
- Stay away from glass windows, shelves, cabinets, and other heavy objects
- Beware of falling objects. Be alert and keep your eyes open
- Those who are outside should move to an open area, and follow these safety measures:
- Stay away from trees, power lines, posts, and concrete structures
- Move away from steep slopes which may be affected by landslides
- Those who are in a moving vehicle should stop and get out
- Do not attempt to cross bridges, overpasses, or flyovers which may have been damaged
- After the shaking, be prepared for aftershocks
- Take the fastest and safest way out of a building
- Do not use elevators, enter damaged buildings, or use telephone unless needed
- Do not panic
- Check yourself and others for injuries
- Check water and electrical lines for damages
- Check for spills of chemical, toxic, or flammable materials
- Check and control fires which may spread
- If you need to evacuate from your residence, leave a message stating where you are going for family members and concerned people to know
- Prepare and ring your emergency supply and/or survival kits with you
- In case of an evacuation, ensure the observance of proper health protocols in the evacuation procedures such as:
- Physical distancing
- Wearing face masks and face shields
- And cleanliness and sanitation of the evacuations areas
Reminders from Cordillera RDRRMC to Local DRRMCs and General Public
Here are also some reminders from Cordillera RDRRMC to Local DRRMCs and the general public as provided by the Civil Defense Cordillera:
- Revisit and ensure that your Contingency Plans, Earthquake Preparedness and Response Plans are updated
- Participate in the conduct OF regular emergency drills in your communities
- The next Nationwide Simultaneous Earthquake Drill is scheduled on March 11, 2021
- Keep yourself updated with the latest earthquake information and advisories through reliable sources such as the PHIVOLCS or your Local DRRM Councils
- Visit DOST-PHIVOLCS through www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph for more information and updates
The Nationwide Simultaneous Earthquake Drill on March 11
As stated by the Civil Defense Cordillera through their advisory, a Nationwide Simultaneous Earthquake Drill (NSED) will be held online on this coming March 11, 2021.
Based on a social media post made by the official Facebook page of the Office of Civil Defense of the Philippines (Civil Defense PH) on Wednesday, February 17, 2021, the program for NSED on March 11 will begin at 1:00 PM, while the ceremonial pressing of the button at 2:00 PM.
“The ceremonial pressing of the button will be held at 2:00 p.m where audiences watching the live stream are encouraged to “duck, cover, and hold” in their houses and offices as the alarm siren,” stated the Civil Defense PH. Note, however, that no evacuation drill and scenarios will be conducted.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council will once again hold an online Nationwide Simultaneous Earthquake Drill for the 1st quarter on March 11, 2021.
— Civil Defense PH (@civildefensePH) February 18, 2021
For More News and Updates