With technology becoming one of the leading economic drivers globally, it is no surprise that the United States, being at the forefront of technological innovation, had approved H-1B visas mostly on computer-related occupations.
According to the Characteristics of H-1B Specialty Occupation Workers, “The number of H-1B petitions approved in FY 2020 for workers in computer-related occupations was 296,572, or 69.5 percent of approved petitions.” This puts Computer-related occupation at the top of the occupation group with the most approved H-1B petition in the United States.
Architecture, Engineering, or Surveying came in second with the most approved H-1B petition, however, it is far from computer-related occupation with only 9.1% approved petition.
What Specific Computer-related occupation?
While the report did not specify the specific computer-related occupation, the US Department of Labor published a list of computer-related occupations or IT Careers that are projected to grow:
- Information Security Analysts – it has a 30% projected growth from 2020-2030
- Software Developers, Quality Assurance Analysts, and Testers – projected growth of 22% from 2020-2030
- Computer Information Research Scientists – projected growth of 22% from 2020-2030.
- Web Developers and Digital Designers – projected growth of 13% from 2020-2030.
- Computer Support Specialists – projected growth of 9% from 2020-2030.
- Database Administrators and Database architects – projected growth of 8% from 2020-2030.
- Computer Systems Analysts – projected growth of 7% from 2020-2030
- Computer Network Architects – projected growth of 5% from 2020 -2030
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators – projected growth of 5% from 2020-2030
What is the H-1B Visa?
The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant working visa that will allow US companies to temporarily employ foreign workers for careers that require the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or higher in the specific specialty, or it’s equivalent.