The CHED Merit Scholarship Program (CMSP) for 2023, a renowned government-funded scholarship in the Philippines, is now accepting applications. Specifically designed to bolster the academic journey of extraordinary Filipino students, this Filipino scholarship program extends its benefits to a spectrum of special groups. These include underprivileged citizens, persons with disabilities (PWDs), and solo parents along with their dependents.
The CMSP is a golden opportunity for Filipino students, providing full or partial financial assistance to cover tuition and other school fees. This scholarship also includes a monthly stipend for living expenses, and is applicable to any CHED-recognized priority programs in private higher education institutions (HEIs), State Universities and Colleges (SUCs), and Local Universities and Colleges (LUCs).
Who can apply for the CHED Merit Scholarship Program (CMSP) 2023
To qualify for this unique academic scholarship in the Philippines, applicants need to meet several requirements:
- Be a Filipino citizen.
- Be a graduating high school student or a high school graduate with a general weighted average (GWA) of at least 90%.
- Belong to a special group of persons, such as underprivileged and homeless citizens under Republic Act (RA) No. 7279, Persons with Disability (PWDs) under RA No. 7277 as amended, Solo Parents and/or their Dependents under RA 8371, and must submit certifications and/or identification cards (IDs) issued by the appropriate offices or agencies.
- Avail of only one government-funded financial assistance program.
- Intend to enroll in a course that is on the list of CHED Priority Programs*.
Priority Programs for CHED Scholarships AY 2023-2024
Here is the list of Priority courses recognized by CHED for the academic year 2023-2024:
- Science and Mathematics
- Applied Physics/Physics
- Applied Mathematics/Mathematics
- Applied Statistics/Statistics
- Environmental Science
- Human Biology
- Marine Biology
- Marine Science
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Information Technology Education
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security
- Entertainment and Multimedia Computing/Game Development and Animation
- Information System
- Information Technology
- Library and Information Science
- Engineering and Technology
- Agriculture and Biosystems Engineering
- Ceramic Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering/Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Food Engineering
- Geodetic Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Manufacturing/Production Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Robotics Engineering
- Sanitary Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Aircraft Maintenance Technology
- Aviation Related Programs
- Engineering Technology
- Industrial Technology
- Mechatronics Engineering Technology
- Fine Arts
- Interior Design
- Landscape Architecture
- Environmental Planning
- Business and Management
- Business Analytics (straight or major)
- Hospitality Management/Hotel and Restaurant Management
- Tourism Management/Tourism
- Health Profession Education
- Doctor of Dental Medicine
- Doctor of Optometry
- Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Science
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Radiologic Technology
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech Language Pathology
- Maritime Education
- Marine Engineering
- Marine Transportation
- Social Sciences
- Community Development
- Human Services (Guidance and Counselling)
- Indigenous Peoples Studies/Education
- Peace Studies/Education
- Social Work
- Teacher Education
- Secondary Education major in Science and Mathematics
- Culture and Arts
- Early Childhood Education
- Special Needs Education
- Sports and Exercise Science
- Multi and Interdisciplinary Cluster
- Data Science and Analytics
- Disaster Risk Management/Climate Change
- Renewable/Sustainable Energy
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication
CMSP 2023 Documentary Requirements
- Citizenship: Certified true copy of Birth Certificate. Book your PSA appointment here.
- Academic Requirements:
- High school report card for incoming freshmen students eligible for college.
- Duly certified true copy of grades for Grade 11 and 1st semester of Grade 12 for graduating high school students.
- Income Requirements (whichever is applicable):
- Latest Income Tax Return (ITR) of parents or guardian.
- Certificate of Tax Exemption from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR).
- Certificate of Indigence either from their Barangay or Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
- Case Study report from DSWD.
- Latest copy of contract or proof of income, for the children of Overseas Filipino Workers and seafarers.
- Other Requirement:
- Identification Card (ID) – Special Group (Underprivileged or Homeless, PWD, Solo Parent, Senior Citizen, Indigenous People)
CMSP Financial Assistance
This Filipino scholarship program covers tuition and other school fees (TOSF), offers a monthly stipend, and provides a book/connectivity allowance per semester until the completion of the degree program. The specifics of the financial aid vary based on whether the institution is a private Higher Education Institution (HEI) or a State University and College (SUC) / Local University and College (LUC).
Private HEIs Financial Assistance
For Private HEIs, here is the breakdown:
Program Period Period TOSF Stipend Book/
Full PESFA Annual 40,000 70,000 10,000 120,000
Full PESFA Semestral 20,000 35,000 5,000 60,000
Half PESFA Annual 20,000 35,000 5,000 60,000
Half PESFA Semestral 10,000 17,500 2,500 30,000
*TOSF = Tuition and other School Fees
*PESFA = Private Education Student Financial Assistance
SUCs and LUCs Financial Assistance
For SUCs and LUCs, the breakdown is as follows:
Program Period TOSF Stipend Book/
Full SSP Annual FREE 70,000 10,000 80,000
Full SSP Semestral FREE 35,000 5,000 40,000
Half SSP Annual FREE 35,000 5,000 40,000
Half SSP Semestral FREE 17,500 2,500 20,000
*TOSF = Tuition and other School Fees
*SSP = State Scholarship Program
How to Apply for the CHED Scholarship Program (CMSP 2023)
The application process for CMSP 2023 is straightforward:
- Prepare the complete documentary requirements.
- Scan the documentary requirements clearly.
- Send the application and documents online to your respective CHED Regional Office.
CHED Regional Office Application Links
Deadline for Submission
The deadline for submission is on May 31, 2023. There are 13,455 slots available.
Remember, the CHED Merit Scholarship Program (CSMP) is a testament to the government’s commitment to education and development. It’s an excellent opportunity for academically talented Filipino students from special groups to pursue their higher education goals without the financial burden. Stay tuned to the official CHED website for updates on application deadlines.