A magnitude 6.0 earthquake rocked Cagayan at 2:40 AM July 1, 2022. Its effects were felt as far as Pangasinan. The epicenter of the earthquake was determined at 19.02°N, 121.45°E – 027 km S 68° E of Dalupiri Island (Calayan) (Cagayan).
According to Earthquake information no. 2 released by the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, the origin of the earthquake was Tectonic and aftershocks are expected.
The instrumental intensities recorded are as follows:
- Intensity V – Claveria, Cagayan
- Intensity IV – Laoag City and Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte; Gonzaga and Penablanca, Cagayan.
- Intensity III – Vigan City and Sinait, Ilocos Sur; Ilagan, Isabela
- Intesity II – Tabuk, Kalinga
- Intensity I – Baler, Aurora; Santiago City, Isabela; Dagupan City, Pangasinan